Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Container





1) "To be by your side" by Nick Cave

Who would have thought Nick Cave would be providing his voice to a documentary about migrating birds? Well he did for 'Traveling birds' and it sounds great especially with the added bird noises on this version. So sad and wistful this one.




2) "Fistfull of Love" by Antony and the Johnsons


This album was voted the Gayest Album ever by Joy FM.... I concur. Lou Reed adds a touching prologue. A song about S&M never sounded sweeter. Thankyou Antony.


3) "He War" by Cat Power


I remember hearing this song in the middle of the night after doing some late night darkroom printing. It seemed to sum up the melancholy I had for leaving Melbourne behind. Can't hear it without thinking about those sad months, small boy - big city.
Watch on YouTube


4) "Breath me" (Fourtet Remix) by Sia


The finale of 'Six Feet Under' featured this track, the original that is. Fourtet strips the sucker back and puts a hypnotic metronome in to counterpoint the breathy vocal. I still have the goosebumps. Watch on YouTube


5) "Chicago" by Sufjan Stephens


More woos rock I know but this guy puts the epic into folk and puts goose bumps on the ones that Sia gave me.
Here's a YouTube clip of some kids doing an a capella version
Watch on YouTube


6) "Crazy" by Pylon


Athens GA rockers dug out of obscurity thanks to REM who covered this song on Dead letter Office way back in the day. I prefer this than the cover version hope you do to.

7) "Turn a square" by The Shins


Was it my buddy Paul or perhaps the movie 'Garden State' that introduced me to these cool folk rockers. Makes me feel good anyhoo.

8) "Twice around (featuring Jean Gray)" by Herbalizer


This English hip hopper can really soul it up does some cool collaborations. Good with a pint or a kilo of coke snorted off a hookers bum.

9) "Cross eyed and painless" by Talking Heads


Brian Eno funks up talkiing heads by wedging in a fuckload of cowbell and percussion. I played this on the tram this morning and had to bite my lip so I wouldn't spontaneously dance in an epileptic way. Needles to say my lip is sore now.
This YouTube clip features the clip that Toni Basil directed:
Watch on YouTube

10) "Apply some pressure" by Maximo Park


These English rock dudes are so bratty, I like singing along to this one in the car on the way to work, makes me want to swerve and hit pedestrians for some reason.
Watch on YouTube

11) "I changed my mind" by Quannum


I first saw this clip on Rage, blew my mind. 2 years later I went to a forum by Shynola who directed it. The vocal is by Lyrics Born who has such a free conversational vocal that is just so damn groovy my pants hurt.
Watch on YouTube


12) "I wanna be adored (rabbit in the moon remix)" by Stone Roses


This comes for the stone roses remix album. Tres groovy ambient remix of this big 90s hit. Personal trivia: My girlfriend thought the chorus went ' I wanna be a DOG'.
Watch on YouTube



13) "Pista" by Ojos De Brujo


Awesome Spanish rockers who mix gypsy, world and hip hop effortlessly. This is from their website to promote their new album Techari. Their debut Bari is also awesome. Awesome.



14) "Ces Bottes sont faites pour marcher ( these boots are made for walking)" by Eileen


I love the Nancy Sinatra version but this takes it to another level of camp. Now where's my pink boa.....oh yeh, there it is.

This YouTube clip features some great dance moves.
Watch on YouTube

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home